Wednesday, February 28, 2007

"WHO SHOT THIS 8MONTH OLD LITTLE PERSON?"


This is the first post for my new blog and sad to say it is a sad one but hopeful. Or maybe a Quixotic one. Either way, I am sick and tired at this time of my life in the land of the brave of hearing about children and innocent families being shot during gun exchanges or drive by shootings either random or revenge. What ever do children do to folks that makes them throw away commodities in our cities? A disproportionate number are of course in poor racially integrated, poorer sections of cities and towns where necessarily, surviving is a challenge every day the sun comes up. If it doesn't come up, chances are good the person died in his/her sleep either naturally or violently.
Folks in these neighborhoods, one of which I am rapidly falling into the category, are poor. The trash seems never to make it to a bin. The gutters are clogged. The homes old and falling apart, many are rentals with absentee landlords/ladies/persons. The daily grind to find assistance to supplement a meager if non existent income is a full time job. Red tape is high on the NASDAQ as is runaround and rudeness. Lines are long, offices are hot, windows don't open and funds are low. Being told to find help at a community church is a usual response. Somewhere is help, but finding it is a riddle few can crack without a little assistance from some savvy street guides. How do I know this? Because for the past month, my income has fallen to zero and I am now one of the chosen poor.
But I digress. All too often I her sirens in the night that suddenly stop and come into my complex. Now and again it is a harmless domestic noisy member, but more and more it is for violence, assault and shootings. Never, under any circumstances part the blinds and peek. All doors remain tightly shut. To quote old Cpl Schultz " I know nothzing, I see nothzing"!
But then this child got shot up. She was the only one hit during a drive by shooting. No neighbors peeked at the rat-a-tat-tat raking through the house across the street and down the way. Neighbors saw nothing, know nothing. They are mute with fear and terrified of revenge if anyone talks. So if this baby survives, which is real iffy at this time, she will never again be the happy gurgling 8month old she was earlier in the evening. If she survives.
I have started a petition at the following site
and would appreciate a visit and a signature. It doesn't matter if you are in my state of Oklahoma or not. The terrorism is every where in every city town and state. Take the signatures and send them to your Governor. Start Small, Get Big.
Thanks in advance. Hold your babies tight, they may not make it through the night.
mary g

No comments: